Looking for a healthy spring lunch that will keep you full but won’t weigh you down? Tuna or chicken salad may sound like a good options, but they’re actually full of toxins like mercury and antibiotics, and commercial mayo is not only full of harmful oils, but also a lot of ingredients that are hard to pronounce. Plus, if you’re looking to eat a more plant-based diet, it’s important to make sure you are getting enough protein and iron–both of which this recipe is high in.
The best thing about this recipe, though, is that it is super quick and simple. AND, you get that yummy curry flavor, but not all the heat – perfect for spring or summer.
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin circles
- 1 small apple, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp veganaise
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 head romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Pulse chickpeas and sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor so that they are broken up and mashed a bit, but still chunky and not yet pureed.
- Add the chickpea mixture and the rest of ingredients (except lettuce) to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pull off the lettuce leaves and scoop the mixture onto the leaves to eat. You can also make a wrap by using a large tortilla and adding some chopped lettuce, or, put it on some bread for a sandwich.
- Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber that also contain B vitamins and many minerals like iron and magnesium, so they’re a perfect substitute for meat.
- Sunflower seeds are also high in minerals including iron and magnesium and antioxidants like vitamin E, and they have just the right amount of crunch.
- Curry powder contains turmeric – a very powerful natural anti-inflammatory, and what a great flavor it brings to the dish!
Recipe courtesy of Nicole Brors. Nicole is a certified nutritionist, herbalist and vegan chef who is dedicated to helping people heal themselves using proper nutrition and herbs. She believes that sharing quality time over a healthy meal with friends and family is one of the best things you can do for your body and soul. You may have seen Nicole at a yoga class or doing a health workshop at The House of Yogi, where her teas are also for sale. To get more recipes and health tips, visit her website at http://dancetothebeet.com.